Due to an increased need of audios all around the world, whether for Movies, Documentaries, Short films, Audiobooks, Elearning, Advertisement, Animation, Gaming or Digital Content, the voice industry continues to grow rapidly. As the opportunities for voice overs increase day by day, it has opened new avenues for voice artists.
If you have a great voice and have always thought of treading the path of a voice artist, then this article will help you to make your transition into the world of professional voice-overs smoothly!
Whether for commercial or audiobook voice over, as a voice actor you need to have an understanding of the dynamics and working of the voice over industry. As the Voiceover Industry is becoming more global, there are lots of opportunities to do many different types of voice over work. This is what makes the work of voice over artists so exhilarating. Nowadays there is more room for a wider variety of styles than ever before. With the emergence of the internet and easy to use audio editing software, new markets are continuously being created and inflated upon. Following are some of the most popular genres for voice overs:
- Explainer Video
- TV Commercial (TVC)
- Video Games
Working on Voice Over Skills: If you’re interested in becoming a professional voice actor, you may be wondering where to start – and whether this could be a rewarding career for you. It is true that you do not require any educational background to start your career as a voice artist but you need to work on the following skills:
- Technical skills: Various technical skills are required to be mastered to be skillful in the voice over craft such as:
- Pronunciation and Clarity : A voice actor’s articulation needs to be impeccable so that the audience can understand the purpose clearly. As a voice artist, every word of yours needs to be distinctly understood and actors need to make sure that they’re balancing their enunciation between over articulation and under articulation.
- Consistent voice and confidence: In voice over, consistency is a highly valued skill that only comes if you’re consistent in your volume, energy, pacing and articulation. Confidence develops if you come prepared to the studio by understanding the subject thoroughly and helps to develop patience that can come in handy during recording sessions.
- Engaging and Conversational: Being conversational takes an innate ability to lift words off the page effortlessly and not sounding monotonous while reading out. Reading and speaking at conversational speed is key to engaging the listener and maintaining their attention.
- Understanding the context: Being connected to what you’re reading is vital to your performance and the believability of your interpretation. A professional narrator always sounds like they’re intrinsically interested in what they’re talking and grasping the content before delivering.
- Voice control: Successful voice actors are always in control of their voice; that is they can control their pitch, their volume, and their breath. They control their pitch by understanding intonation, realizing that there are many musical applications to the spoken word.
.2. Shape a strong focus: Build a set of realistic goals and build a strong focus to grab related opportunities. If your goal is to do voice acting for Animation, work on your skills, formulate a plan and stick to it. Make sure your decisions at every step of your journey are influenced by this goal. Remember, if you are nudged at least one inch closer to your goal every day, then you are most likely on the correct path.
3. Be flexible and learn to adapt: Adapting according to the situation will let you make the most of every opportunity. Having goals and remaining focused are extremely important, but closing your mind off to unforeseen opportunities can be hugely detrimental to your career. No journey to success is ever a straight line and you need to be flexible to avail maximum benefits.
4. Build strong work ethics: Daily chores and related work might take up certain hours of your day, but if you aren’t willing or able to dedicate more hours each day to forwarding your voice career, you won’t progress. Maintain a work ethic that lets you build your skills, develop your brand, network and manage your business affairs.
Understanding the Studio Equipment requirement to record your voice
For voice artists beginning their career in voice over industry, it is essential to know about the basic voice over equipment, their uses, characteristics and requirements to produce quality voice over recording services in a professional and quick manner. A professional voice over agency may help you in identifying the right equipment for a particular project. Below is a list of few essential studio equipments that are required for any voice over recording:
- Microphones: Microphones are required to capture quality recordings in the best possible manner. There are many microphone types in the market, therefore, it is essential to select the one that fits your requirements as well as the budget.
The different types are:
- Carbon button
- Crystal or ceramic microphones
Condenser microphones are usually the choice of professionals because of their good pick up range and strong audio signals that help you to get reliable and better recordings. Large diaphragm mics are great at picking up low frequencies, while for capsule mic for higher frequencies.
- Microphone stand: Plays a huge role in the quality of your recorded output by providing consistent recordings that sound even without any trembles
- Right Pop Filter: This will ensure that your microphone is protected from unwanted noise build-up
- Headphones: A good pair of headphones can help you analyze audio quality better, by keeping noises at bay. Although it is dependent on the artist whether to use the headphone while recording or only while doing the editing, it is usually considered a good investment for any voice over artist.
- Editing software: Editing and recording software can help you to polish, refine and provide quality audio recordings. It is essential to find the right software as most of them have varying complexity and ease of operation. The software can be broadly divided in four categories: Audio Editors, Plugins, Multi-Track Recorders and Miscellaneous Studio Softwares.
Some of most popular audio editors available are:
- Logic Pro X
- Pro Tools
The quality of your sound is paramount to your success with auditions. So, if you are trying to set up your home studio, you must also soundproof it for the best possible results. Some things to consider:
- Start small by investing in soundproofing materials by buying some inexpensive duvets/comforters and drape them around your space. Use absorbent panels, if possible.
- Cover everything, including all the cracks on your doors and windows! Use foam gaskets, pieces of carpeting or something to dampen unwanted noise because your voice will reflect off of it.
- Use a wireless keyboard and mouse to control your recording software and cut down on the noises of your fan/AC or computer to create an optimum environment for recording.
Auditioning Your Skills
If you don’t take every audition opportunity as seriously as it deserves, you could be missing out on work that can further your career and elevate you to the level of success you want to achieve. The most important tips to conquer your audition and make it memorable are:
- Preparation: When it comes to delivering the audition, voice-over actors need to remember to perform with energy and enthusiasm, while keeping in mind the context of the script. Before you head off to the audition, remember to practice the script thoroughly at home. Whether the voice acting gig is for a video game, commercial, or film, you’ll need to have the tone dialed and have a firm grasp on the role you’re auditioning for.
- Knowing about the role: Needless to say, you need to know the role you’re auditioning before, and that includes the aforementioned tone. Not only that, but you need to have an idea of who the character is- their personality, their role and response to any situation. You may have a general idea of the character and their role, but you need to look deeper into the script.
- Warming Up: You must practice warming up every day but should also be careful not to exhaust your voice before the audition or recording session. Doing lip or tongue trills in the morning and performing breathing exercises should be a part of your vocal workout regime as these also help to release physical tension. Also, remember to be punctual for your sessions as running late might put stress on your voice. Warm up helps to stay focussed and also inculcates the following:
- Keeping yourself hydrated
- Eating healthy
- Taking extra care of your vocal chords
- Sleeping well
Marketing and Building an Online Profile
As the most important part of any business is getting customers, voice over actors too need to stay focused and build their network of relationships to get more work. Marketing yourself is a continuous activity that requires daily efforts. To be your own boss and manage yourself means that you need to work on your own a lot of the time. So you need to embrace the benefits and the challenges this presents.To stand out from the crowd, you need to diversify your linguistic skills. Even if you are a pro voice over actor with many years of experience, there are always new skills to learn and add to your profile to get new jobs. Take courses in areas where you need to develop your skills. Fortunately, the internet has made this easier and more accessible.
As a voice-over artist you need to recognize that you need to market yourself. This involves ensuring you get your brand, your business, in front of the right people. Highlight your expertise on your profile and resume, keep working on honing new skills, communicate with the client effectively and continually market and develop your personal brand. All of this may seem daunting at first but with the right routines and approach you can soon fit this into your daily routine.
In this digital era, creating an online artist profile is the need of the hour. One such premium online voice over company is Voyzapp that helps to provide numerous avenues and global opportunities to new voice actors, that too without any extra charges! Voyzapp is the first online marketplace for voice over artists with escrow payment mechanism.
If you want to get started on the right foot in your voice acting career, registering as a voice artist at voyzapp.com is an important step.
- Simply use your email id and contact number to sign up successfully
- Click on the verification link sent on your registered email id to get started.
- Login to your Voyzapp profile and fill out all your credentials accurately. After all, the more accurate your profile information is, the more easily clients can hire you when they search the site. Complete your profile to ensure it gets approved. Note that a profile more than 80% complete is more likely to get selected for projects.
- Upload your samples in multiple categories and languages to increase your profile visibility. Clients will use the voyzapp.com search feature to find a voice actor with a specific category or language. So, it’s important for your profile to be fully filled out to include all of your attributes and skills. These samples/demos of yours serve as online auditions.
- Ideally, when you are chosen for a job, the client knows exactly what you bring to the table through your completed profile; that way you are able to charge your full value.
Conclusion: Voice acting is a dynamic and rewarding profession with a solid employment outlook. And with proper planning and marketing you can leverage new voice opportunities easily.
Best of luck for your voice over career!
Choosing the voice over price – A voice artist’s dilemma!
Thinking of exploring voice artist career path? Here's how to get started
Growing Opportunities for Voice Artists in Voice Overs